This is a place to put all the crazy bits of information I tend to collect and bother others with! Ohh - don't use the AOL addy to email me - that is my 'name' - emails come to eilismaura@yahoo.com

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Blogging can be feast or famine - now I found something I have to highlight!

This is from Escape from Obesity

I am looking forward to trying it.


"Yum

Today, I tried something new. Homemade, raw, "Veggie Cereal." Yeah, I know you're going "WHAT?" just like I was when I read this recipe on MckMama's blog. But it sounded so healthy, I was intrigued. Today I tried it, and I think it's blog-worthy. I even took a picture, which I will add later when I get it off my camera. So the next time you are feeling hungry, munchy, or like you need more veggies, try this!

Veggie Cereal

3 T raw pecans
3 peeled baby carrots
1/2 c. raw cauliflower
1/2 c. raw broccoli
1 large apple, cored, peeled
cinnamon

Put the nuts and carrots in a food processor and pulse until they are in small pieces. Add the cauliflower, broccoli, and apple (I cut these in chunks) and pulse until the size of couscous. (For those of you who are not into couscous, it's like a half grain of rice or so).

The original recipe says to scoop some into a bowl and top with cinnamon and almond milk and eat like cereal. I mixed cinnamon into mine first, and I used vanilla (sweetened) almond milk because I am a wuss about trying a Veggie Cereal with plain almond milk. It was really good!! It's crunchy and a bit sweet and apple-y. She says your kids won't even know what they are eating, but my kids knew really fast. "What are those green things mom??? THAT'S BROCCOLI!!!!" and "Hey aren't those orange things carrots?? Mom is this cereal made of VEGETABLES??" They were good sports and tried it but my daughter hauled butt to the nearest trash can to spit it out before she gagged up her entire lunch, and my veggie-loving son turned it down after a taste. He just likes his veggies straight, I guess. But anyway my point is that this is really yummy to ME, but if you think you're going to trick any kid over the age of 3 into thinking this is "cereal," don't bank on it.

Still, I enjoyed it a LOT and I am going to be making this often!

The original recipe can be seen here.

I'm doing great with my eating, updating on Twitter, and feeling amazing :)"

No comments: