This is a place to put all the crazy bits of information I tend to collect and bother others with! Ohh - don't use the AOL addy to email me - that is my 'name' - emails come to eilismaura@yahoo.com

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Ways to help folks get potable water and a nice PSI






From the Five & Alive site:

Program Spotlight:
Safe Water Clubs

Rose is a mother of five in rural Malawi:

“My daughter Lucy came home one day from school and asked me if we cleaned our water. I did not understand what she was talking about. We get our water from the stream nearby and we used to drink it freely. My children had frequent bouts of diarrhea which forced them to miss school and often required us to walk many miles to the clinic. Lucy explained that she was joining a Safe Water Club at her school so she could teach people the importance of cleaning their water and washing hands. Lucy showed me how to pour a packet of powder into our water jug before we drink it. Now, my children are happy and healthy. They have not missed a day of school due to diarrhea since we started using this product. After learning about what Lucy and her classmates were doing at the school, the other parents and I started talking about what we could do to keep our children healthy at school. The community banded together to build real bathrooms at the school. Now our children are healthy and happy. I feel very good knowing that I am helping my family and allowing them to live better lives.”

See more about making a donation here -

$ 5.00 can provide a long-lasting insecticide-treated net to a child.
$ 25.00 can buy life-saving pneumonia treatment antibiotics that will
save the lives of more than 100 children.
$ 50.00 can distribute enough oral rehydration salts to save 500 children's lives.
$100.00 can provide more than 35 families with safe drinking water for one year.




Here is another video about the process being used:

Displaying the only video by Five & Alive.

No comments: